Monday, October 9, 2017

My Other Life

For those of you who know me only through this blog or my guide book to Mexico City, it may be a surprise that all this has just been a sideline--although one that took me on quite a long and varied journey.

My first, and longer, career is as a visual artist.

After a brief and stultifying stint as an office worker in New York City in my early 20's, I began my professional life as an artist selling pottery at street fairs. Later I branched out into painting, sculpture, industrial and furniture design, and printmaking. I've also worked as an amateur architect and have designed a dozen houses.

Since moving to Mexico City almost twelve years ago my writing has vied for attention with my art. I have continued to work in a quieter way, having completed a few private commissions, but not showing publicly. So, for the first time in more than ten years I've cleaned up the studio and freshly painted all the walls white, and hung up my recent work to exhibit.

The studio will be open to the public on Saturday, October 14 from 11am to 6pm (or by appointment until November 1-- call 044-55-5966-5945). I hope you can visit.

You can see more recent work on my FB page: ESTUDIO TONALÁ
(please LIKE to page to receive updates)
Previous work can be seen on my website:  www.jimjohnstonart.com 

 

After November first I will be in India for two months working on a writing project.



No comments:

Post a Comment